Is an emulation of the iconic Oberheim® 8-Voice keyboard. It sounds HUGE and if you are looking for serious analogue tones, you have to try it. OB-E takes the iconic SEM® based 8-Voice (a.k.a the EVS) into new sonic territory via a raft of enhancements and additions.
The concept of the 8-Voice is actually very simple; based around a single Synthesiser Expander Module (SEM) containing two VCOs with Pulse and Sawtooth waveforms, two ADS Envelope Generators, one LFO, and a magical Multi-Mode Filter. In isolation a SEM is monophonic, but in the 8-Voice, because there are eight SEMs triggered by a polyphonic keyboard, you have a superb eight note polyphonic synthesizer.
While simple at heart, OB-E is, to our knowledge, the first virtual instrument with complete per-voice control. This unique Octaphonic architecture offers fresh and exciting creative possibilities to music producers, composers and sound designers for the first time in the digital realm.
We’ve painstakingly emulated every section of the synth to create an authentic sounding instrument with the convenience of software control over those eight SEM modules. Mono, Poly, Unison, Split, it’s all yours now. Add to this a new third oscillator that doubles as LFO, a new LFO per voice, and a stack of additional performance controls via velocity, polyphonic aftertouch and MPE and you’ll begin to understand the depth of musical possibilities OB-E provides.
Programming a polyphonic Patch on an original 8-Voice was a daunting mission, OB-E makes it a cinch. Unison Chords a forté. To overcome the arduous task of editing 8 individual SEMs, OB-E provides a number of clearly-thought out editing controls such as Group and Offset modes as well as a resizable user interface.
And that’s not all! With Oberheim’s MS-1 as a starting reference point, we’ve added an extremely comprehensive and creative 8-step Sequencer providing a flexibility and fun-factor unavailable via the original hardware. In keyboard Split mode with the Sequencer routed to SEM 8, OB-E provides the ability to create a complete three part soundscape from a single Patch. An all-new routable Stereo Delay provides sonically complimentary effects.
Finally, we’ve complemented our instrument with 600+ factory patches designed by Dave Spiers and a roster of brilliant sound designers. Even better, each patch has been tagged, categorised and is quickly accessible from the OB-E’s librarian (arrow navigation friendly).
- Unique 8-Voice Octaphonic architecture with zero delay feedback filters
- An authentic sounding emulation of the Oberheim® 8-Voice
- 600 factory Patches designed to fit in a mix, all tagged and categorised
- Librarian for easy access to the presets (Arrow Keys Navigation)
- Resizable UI
- Continuous, round-robin mode where each note use a new voice
- ZOOM to enlarge an individual SEM placing front and rear panels side by side
- Group mode - edit all SEMs at once
- Offset mode - edit all SEMs at once retaining relative parameter positions
- Lock individual SEMs to prevent any changes, including when changing Patch
- Individual SEM Copy/Paste & SEM Preset Save/Load
- 150+ Individual SEM Presets,
- 50+ Individual Sequencer Presets
- 2 x VCOs, 2 x ADS, Multimode-filter, Polyphonic Aftertouch enabled
- LFO, 3rd VCO doubling as a second LFO
- Multiple triggering modes; Polyphonic, Monophonic, Mono Legato, & Unison
- Stereo Delay & MIDI Sequencer with Sequencer Lock when changing a Patch
- 48 Sequence key scaling options
- Volume & Pan per SEM. HRTF for Pan
- Global Tuning, Vibrato and Portamento. MIDI CC Control
- Upper/Low modules can be Split across the keyboard
- Extensive Velocity & Aftertouch modulation
- Polyphonic aftertouch and MPE ready
- Intel Mac
- macOS 10.15.x +
- (M1 & Big Sur compatible)
OB-E is Mac only