The warm, rich tape echo of an icon
Recreated down to the finest detail
Tape echo offers a unique sonic signature, and perhaps no unit offers a more recognizable sound than the Roland® RE-201 Space Echo™. Now you can enjoy the endlessly flexible controls and the instantly recognizable organic sound of this classic delay unit, captured with an unprecedented level of detail in the T-RackS Space Delay.
First produced in 1974, the RE-201 offered 3 playback heads, variable speed motor and onboard spring reverb. Its 12 operating modes offered a massive range of warm, rich analog soundscapes for music production and sound design.
The limitless potential, ease of use and incredible sound made it a favorite of artists across the globe and in countless genres, from Bob Marley to Brian Eno, Pink Floyd to Portishead, Sublime to Sonic Youth, Randy Rhoads to Radiohead, heard on literally thousands of songs and still in high demand today.
Using the same mix of dynamic convolution and physical modeling as IK’s Tape Machine Collection, the T-RackS Space Delay captures the sound of this iconic effect, down to the finest detail.
Re-creating the magic
Analog tape-based systems are highly complex, adding a special musicality and magic to the material derived from the interplay of several interdependent factors. It took IK two years of full-time research to develop our award-winning T-RackS Tape Machine Collection, and the added variables of Space Delay required bringing this process to a new level.
Like the Tape Machine Collection, creating the Space Delay began with an original unit fully restored to pristine “factory spec” condition. Every element of the design was then carefully analyzed, inspected, and measured to create a precise physical model of every circuit, from the preamps to the playback heads.
The resulting physical model works in symbiosis with a powerful dynamic convolution, updated to capture every nuance of the spring reverb and other elements of the sound. The end result is a breathtaking fidelity to the original unit.
But we didn’t stop there.
- Space Delay adds several thoughtful updates to make this vintage classic easier to integrate with modern production techniques:
- Stereo operation: Pan each of the 3 playback heads and the spring reverb separately for immersive stereo soundscapes.
- Input filters: High-pass and low-pass input filters let you shape the sound before hitting the tape for more powerful sound shaping.
- Ducking: Create dynamic echo effects or cut through even the most crowded mix with this convenient ducking feature.
- Lo-Fi effects: With control over unit noise and tape age, you can easily add extra grit and grime to your tracks for more vintage sound.
The power of T-RackS
Like all T-RackS plug-ins, the Space Delay offers you two ways to work: as a stand-alone plug-in, or inside the T-RackS 5 shell. Use these together with any of the other T-RackS processors to mix and master faster than ever creating a powerful, lightning-fast workflow.
The T-RackS shell offers a unique modular system with up to 16-processor chains, series & parallel routing, easy A/B/C/D comparison, up to 192 kHz / 32-bit floating point processing and much more, in both a plug-in and stand-alone mastering application.
- T-RackS individual processor module
- Full 14 day free trial period
- Individual processor or part of the T-RackS processing chain
- 64-bit native support
- 32-bit 192 kHz support
- T-RackS Custom Shop integration
T-RackS 5 is a 64-bit application and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System.
Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), macOS 10.9 or later.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), Windows® 7, Windows® 8 or Windows® 10. Requires an ASIO compatible sound card.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
NOTE: EQual processor requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.